Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ideas on production | progress

I have today been referencing the 'What Is Publication Design' which has given me a few thoughts in terms of layout.

These images of Vince Frost's design for the D&AD magazine remided me of how the cover could potentially fold. This would focus people into my title on first look, then have the rest to lead them into the copy.


The hierarchy of text here is spot on, something i am still aiming towards. I need to consider which quotes really capture the texts, rather than just picking out the best ones. The bold arrows keep the reader orientated. I need to consider what mark i could use to keep the reading order within a page which will potentially be chaotic.

Even though the book below is based on gangster, the clean layout of the book is not being as obvious i have in terms of creating an aggressive layout. This could be something to consider with my layout. I should start to think about what the other elements of the pages are saying. The concept of swear symbols is bold in itself so i should consider not trying to say everything twice. There is a balance which i am still working towards.





OOOOps!
I always want to get the best out of the college facilities, but this time i went to far. Newsprint through a lazer printer! Here are the results. I like the damaged nature, but if the finish quality is damaged then the layout needs to be uniform, otherwise the whole thing will become too much of a statement about aggressiveness and not enough about readability.



No comments:

Post a Comment